codeHive Class of 2023 – Applications Now Open!
codeHive is the AkiraChix signature program. It is a one-year fully sponsored residential hands-on technical training program. It provides education and economic opportunity to young women between 18 and 24 years from underserved communities who have completed high school education but are unable to further their education due to financial constraints.
We look to recruit 100 highly motivated young women from Kenya, Ethiopia, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, and the refugee communities in Kenya, to join the codeHive class of 2023.
Students in the codeHive program receive on demand technology and non-cognitive skills. Students get the opportunity to attend and network at technology conferences and workshops.
All students are required to develop market-ready prototypes, pitch to prospective employers, and secure a three-month paid internship.
If this is a challenge you can take on, apply today
Deadline for applications: 21st October 2022 at 11.59 PM (GMT +3)
Applicants must have:
- Completed High School no later than December 2021
- Possess a High School result slip/ transcript/ Photo of your results sent via SMS
- Be a young woman aged 18-24 years on January 2023
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Be a citizen of Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda, or come from the refugee communities in Kenya
- Have either a National ID, Alien ID or Refugee certificate of your respective country of origin
- Interested in being a changemaker in your community
- Available full-time to live and learn in the AkiraChix Campus from January 28th to December 1, 2023
- Be involved in leadership activities in your community i.e at school, church/mosque/ temple etc
RECRUITMENT 2022 FAQs
What is AkiraChix?
AkiraChix is a not for profit that offers young women hands-on, on-demand technical training and leadership development to positively impact their lives and communities and close the gender gap in the technology field.
Where is AkiraChix located?
AkiraChix Campus is located in the secure upmarket neighbourhood of Karen in Nairobi, Kenya’s capital city.
What is the codeHive program?
codeHive is the AkiraChix signature program.
- It is a 1-year full scholarship and residency at AkiraChix Campus in Nairobi, Kenya
- We recruit highly motivated young women from across East africa’s underserved communities
- We offer market-ready technology, life skills and leadership training
- Students go on a three-month internship
- Students attend and network at East Africa’s leading technology conferences and workshops globally
- Students produce market-ready prototype solutions to graduate
Is there an age limit to who can apply?
Yes, you need to be between the ages of 18 and 24 years in January 2023
Is the codeHive program only for women?
Yes, we believe that it is essential to bridge the gender gap in technology by providing women with an opportunity to acquire skills in technology to make an impact. This is why we are specifically focused on young women aged 18 to 24 years.
When is the deadline for the codeHive 2023 application?
The deadline for the codeHive Class of 2023 application is 21st October 2022.
What does the sponsorship cover?
- One-year tuition-free learning
- Accommodation, extracurricular activities, meals, and personal amenities.
- Training facilities including high-speed internet and recreational centers
- Access to technology hubs and maker spaces in Nairobi for tech events and prototyping respectively
- On successful completion of the program and meeting set criteria you get to join codeHiveX
Where will I stay during the year of the program?
You will live on the AkiraChix campus in Nairobi, Kenya. The Campus is situated in the upmarket neighbourhood of Karen in a secure compound.
Am I required to have a background in technology to apply?
No, you do not. You simply need a high school certification and an eagerness to learn.
Is there a cut-off grade for applicants to the codeHive program?
No, we believe that high school grades do not always define your capabilities. As long as you are interested in technology, you can apply no matter what grade you scored in high school
Can I apply if I am enrolled in a university program?
No, this program is specifically for those who are financially challenged and cannot advance their education after completing their high school education.
Can I apply if I am from outside of the five listed countries; Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda?
Not in 2022. As AkiraChix expands, we intend to open applications to young women from across other African countries. Be on the lookout on our digital platforms to keep track of our expansion.
What additional documentation do you require with my application?
A scanned copy of your birth certificate, your national ID, stamped letter of recommendation from teachers, organization or employer, and high school result slip.
Will I be able to go home for the holidays during the program?
Unfortunately no. You will only have one annual break in the learning year within Nairobi where the program is based.
Do I require an East African student pass for the program?
All successful candidates will receive an East African Student Pass covered by AkiraChix.
Do I need a passport?
Only students from outside Kenya require a valid passport that should be at least 6 months from expiration.
Do I need to be vaccinated before I leave the country?
Yes, all successful candidates residing outside of Kenya’s borders are required to be fully vaccinated and have a Ministry of Health certified vaccination certificate, which will be presented at the point of entry.
Who will cover my transport costs to Nairobi?
AkiraChix will cover all costs once on campus, however, travel to campus from your respective country and region of origin is a student’s cost.
What If I don’t have my results slip due to unpaid fees.
You can upload an Image of of the results send via SMS by KNEC