Monitoring and Evaluations Associate
AkiraChix exists to build the world’s leading African female technology talent. Technology in Africa, over the past ten years, has seen a significant increase in innovation which has resulted in access to information, financial inclusion and enterprise through mobile phone technology use and coverage.
But despite this, the continent’s economic growth has stalled. Considered the youngest continent, over 20% of Africa’s population is aged 15 -24 years, and it is positioned perfectly to revitalise this economic growth.
According to the World Economic Forum, if African governments do invest in their youth this can inject USD 500 billion annually to its economies over the next 30 years. But that can only happen if the growing dangers of youth unemployment on the continent is mitigated. This is especially necessary in the case of women who lag behind men by 10% according to the International Labour Organisation.
AkiraChix is a non profit organization which exists to play an integral role to ensure generations of African women not only get out of a cycle of poverty and unemployment but also take the lead as global tech innovators. Innovators who provide customised solutions for their communities to end the cycle of poverty and bolster economic growth.
Our flagship program codeHive,is a one year fully subsidized residential hands-on technical training program. It provides education and economic opportunity to young women between the ages of 18-24, from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds. These young women have completed high school but due to financial constraints are unable to further their education.
This program develops capacity and skills in computer literacy, software development (for both mobile and web applications), IOT & industrial design, user interface/ user experience (UI/UX), product management, life skills, communication skills, professional development and other specialized certifications such as Amazon Web Services (AWS).
About the role:
AkiraChix seeks a dynamic Monitoring & Evaluation Associate who is highly competent with data, passionate about social change who will lead the design, implementation, and operation of M&E systems. She/he will oversee the monitoring, evaluation, analytics, and reporting of performance and results. She/he will conduct regular program data analysis and identify areas of program improvement. S/he will lead activity efforts to strengthen monitoring, evaluation and performance reporting within the organization.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Participating in and providing support to program design activities including development of theories of change and strategic frameworks (Results Frameworks, Log Frames).
- Developing a Monitoring and Evaluation plan as well as determining performance and impact indicators and targets including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and/ performance monitoring plans.
- Developing data collection tools and conducting data collection, collation, storage, analysis, and reporting, ensuring that data is of high quality and audit worthy.
- Determining data analysis procedures and use of quantitative or qualitative analysis tools
- Provide training and mentoring to staff to ensure the implementation of strong M&E systems.
- Monitoring project activities, outputs and progress towards anticipated results
- Responsible for supporting the preparation and review of program reports in collaboration with program staff.
- Manage research activities and ensure outcomes and lessons learned are integrated into the program and shared with relevant stakeholders.
- Developing monthly, quarterly or annual reports depending on program requirements.
- Managing external evaluation consultants and draft scopes of work.
- Contributing to institutional learning processes.
- Tracking best practices in monitoring and evaluation.
- Providing support to proposal development for M&E components
Who we are looking for:
- You have good knowledge of programme implementation, monitoring and evaluation techniques and practices.
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans.
- You have strong quantitative and qualitative analytical skills, with work or academic experience in research design, data collection, data analysis and reporting.
- Outstanding written and verbal communications skills in English, including creative presentation of information and use of data visualisations.
- Previous experience working as part of a team in the private, public or non-profit sector.
- Experience conducting research or managing data collection in an organization.
- You thrive in an evolving environment, are happy with ambiguity, can learn and adapt, including shifting priorities and timelines.
- You have a learning mindset, and you are curious and resourceful in your approach to new situations
- You easily navigate Google Drive, Slack, and open to learning other collaboration tools, etc
- You have a positive attitude and are open to learning as well as open to talking about your weaknesses and mistakes.
- You love collaboration, are a good listener and possess excellent communication and people skills.
Why work with us?
- Mission & Impact: We believe in and work hard towards creating a future where young women imagine and build technology that will mirror the people and societies for which they build . You are part of opening up life-changing opportunities for our students.
- Career Development: We support the development of skills and leadership in our employees. We support each other’s growth
- Benefits: We believe in supporting the wellbeing of our employees and offer healthcare cover, meals at work, flexible leave days and flexible working hours.
- Self Care: We go the extra mile to support our codeHive students, but we also take time to rejuvenate, reenergize and have fun. We put our gears on neutral for the month of December to spend time resting after a year of hard work.
Working hours are typically weekdays 9 am - 5 pm, with the need for occasional events on the weekend.
The role reports to the Managing Director and collaborates closely with the rest of the team. We will agree on a three-month probation period with learning and performance goals.
Want to apply?
- Check out our website to learn more about what we do!
- The application process will include interviews, a visit to our campus, a skill test/portfolio presentation and references.
- Deadline for applications is 25th January 2022.