AkiraChix exists to build the world’s leading African female technology talent. Technology in Africa, over the past ten years, has seen a significant increase in innovation which has resulted in access to information, financial inclusion and enterprise through mobile phone technology use and coverage.
But despite this, the continent’s economic growth has stalled. Considered the youngest continent, over 20% of Africa’s population is aged 15 -24 years, and it is positioned perfectly to revitalise this economic growth.
According to the World Economic Forum, if African governments do invest in their youth this can inject USD 500 billion annually to its economies over the next 30 years. But that can only happen if the growing dangers of youth unemployment on the continent is mitigated. This is especially necessary in the case of women who lag behind men by 10% according to the International Labour Organisation.
AkiraChix is a non profit organization which exists to play an integral role to ensure generations of African women not only get out of a cycle of poverty and unemployment but also take the lead as global tech innovators. Innovators who provide customised solutions for their communities to end the cycle of poverty and bolster economic growth.
Our flagship program codeHive,is a one year fully subsidized residential hands-on technical training program. It provides education and economic opportunity to young women between the ages of 18-24, from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds. These young women have completed high school but due to financial constraints are unable to further their education.
This program develops capacity and skills in computer literacy, software development (for both mobile and web applications), IOT & industrial design, user interface/ user experience (UI/UX), product management, life skills, communication skills, professional development and other specialized certifications such as Amazon Web Services (AWS).
About the role:
AkiraChix is looking for a dynamic, out of the box creative thinker to implement an effective communication strategy that supports the delivery of AkiraChix objectives. S/he will be able to take the lead in showcasing AkiraChix’s impact with the aim of increasing the visibility of AkiraChix brand to global partners, donors, stakeholders and decision-makers in the tech industry.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Designing and implementing a communications strategy for the organization, including the use of traditional and social media.
- Maintain editorial and publication production calendar, regularly liaising with a graphic designer and consultants to track the status of communications products under production.
- Ensure the existence of an exciting and informative online presence through a regularly updated Website and Social Media platforms.
- Provide layout and design support for communications products, including briefs, infographics, factsheets, case studies.
- Support the development and implementation of significant campaigns to achieve organisational goals and impact; includes organising events such as conferences, media events and other outreach.
- Monitor implementation against the milestones of the communication plan and Logical framework indicators; provide 'quality control' by reviewing, editing, and upholding AkiraChix’s brand guidelines as necessary.
- Manage the alignment to the AkiraChix brand image and enhance visibility locally, regionally and internationally ensuring compliance to brand guidelines, safeguarding and consent policies and standardized templates for all communication material.
- Maintain a multimedia library of high-quality photographs, audio and video material with appropriate content for AkiraChix’'s reporting needs.
- Hire and co-ordinate the team of consultants to take responsibility for delivering various aspects of the communications plan (includes developing content); provide support as required.
Who we are looking for:
- Excellent management, time-management, and problem-solving skills.
- Relevant training or certification in social media communication and/or digital design/editing.
- Demonstrated strong and relevant experience in communication including outstanding writing skills and ability to produce high-quality English language content. Copy editing is a plus.
- Demonstrable experience in communication strategy and plans development and execution.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and running successful PR and media campaigns.
- Demonstrated experience in content development for various media platforms (Radio, TV, website, social media).
- Ability to effectively manage the production of a wide range of communication assets including reports and publications but also more innovative platforms.
- Proven track record in managing consultants/service providers, including the development of terms of reference where required.
- Knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop skills. Google Analytics is highly desirable.
- Knowledge in photography and/or videography and respective editing skills.
- You thrive in an evolving environment, are happy with ambiguity, can learn and adapt, including shifting priorities and timelines.
- You easily navigate Google Drive, Slack, and open to learning other collaboration tools, etc.
- You have a learning mindset, and you are curious and resourceful in your approach to new situations.
- You have a positive attitude and are open to learning as well as open to talking about your weaknesses and mistakes.
- You love collaboration, are a good listener and possess excellent communication and people skills.
Why work with us?
- Mission & Impact: We believe in and work hard towards creating a future where young women imagine and build technology that will mirror the people and societies for which they build . You are part of opening up life-changing opportunities for our students.
- Career Development: We support the development of skills and leadership in our employees. We support each other’s growth
- Benefits: We believe in supporting the wellbeing of our employees and offer healthcare cover, meals at work, flexible leave days and flexible working hours.
- Self Care: We go the extra mile to support our codeHive students, but we also take time to rejuvenate, reenergize and have fun. We put our gears on neutral for the month of December to spend time resting after a year of hard work.
Working hours are typically weekdays 9 am - 5 pm, with the need for occasional events on the weekend.
The role reports to the Managing Director and collaborates closely with the rest of the team. We will agree on a three-month probation period with learning and performance goals.
Want to apply?
- Check out our website to learn more about what we do!
- The application process will include interviews, a visit to our campus, a skill test/portfolio presentation and references.
- Deadline for applications is 25th January 2022.