codeHive is the AkiraChix signature program. It is a one-year fully subsidized residential hands-on technical training program. It provides education and economic opportunity to young women between 18 and 24 years from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds who have completed high school education, unable to further their education due to financial constraints.
In 2022 we intend to recruit highly motivated young women from across Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda’s underserved communities. And offer market-ready technology, life skills and leadership training.
Our students in the codeHive program also receive mentorship from global names in technology and business and go on a three-month work experience. They also get to attend and network at leading technology conferences and workshops.
As part of the program, we also push our students to not only learn but innovate. As part of graduation, students are all required to produce market-ready prototype solutions. We also support our students to find a work placement in the technology industry and offer them 6-month additional support as a career launchpad, post-graduation.
Applications are now closed
Applicants must have:
- Completed High School no later than 2019
- Possess a High School result slip/ transcript/ Photo or your results sent via SMS
- Be a young African woman aged 19-24 years on January 2022
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Be a resident of Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda or refugee communities in Kenya
- Have a passport, National ID, Alien ID or Refugee certificate of your respective country of origin
- Interested in technology or its use in bringing change to communities
- Available full-time from February 1, to December 1, 2022, and willing to live on the AkiraChix campus, in Nairobi, Kenya throughout the program
- Be a changemaker and committed to service in your community
- Demonstrate leadership i.e. be able to demonstrate your involvement in leadership activities in your community i.e at school, church/mosque/ temple etc
Meet Our Instructors
Senior Developer, Twiga Foods
Senior Program Officer, Wikimedia Foundation
User Experience Researcher, Antara Health
Project Manager - Kenya, Field Ready