AkiraChix exists to build the world’s leading African female technology talent. Technology in Africa, over the past ten years, has seen a significant increase in innovation which has resulted in access to information, financial inclusion and enterprise through mobile phone technology use and coverage.
But despite this, the continent’s economic growth has stalled. Considered the youngest continent, over 20% of Africa’s population is aged 15 -24 years, and it is positioned perfectly to revitalise this economic growth.
According to the World Economic Forum, if African governments do invest in their youth this can inject USD 500 billion annually to its economies over the next 30 years. But that can only happen if the growing dangers of youth unemployment on the continent is mitigated. This is especially necessary in the case of women who lag behind men by 10% according to the International Labour Organisation.
AkiraChix is a non profit organization which exists to play an integral role to ensure generations of African women not only get out of a cycle of poverty and unemployment but also take the lead as global tech innovators. Innovators who provide customised solutions for their communities to end the cycle of poverty and bolster economic growth.
Our flagship program codeHive,is a one year fully subsidized residential hands-on technical training program. It provides education and economic opportunity to young women between the ages of 18-24, from socio-economically disadvantaged backgrounds. These young women have completed high school but due to financial constraints are unable to further their education.
This program develops capacity and skills in computer literacy, software development (for both mobile and web applications), IOT & industrial design, user interface/ user experience (UI/UX), product management, life skills, communication skills, professional development and other specialized certifications such as Amazon Web Services (AWS).
About the role:
AkiraChix is looking for a dynamic accounting administrator to manage our company's financial processes. S/he will document invoices, maintain files, manage the flow of petty cash as well as update accounting databases and report any financial discrepancies to management.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Managing company assets and financial expenditures.
- Preparing financial documents such as invoices, tax filings, and monthly reports
- Maintaining files on account receivables and updating records as required.
- Managing the flow of petty cash by recording all monetary transactions.
- Ensuring that suppliers are informed of any changes to service agreements and payment options.
- Updating management on any financial discrepancies found during tax filing or invoicing duties.
- Archiving financial documentation and updating accounting databases on a monthly or annual basis.
- Adhering to best practices in accounting, as outlined by industry experts and adopted by AkiraChix.
Who we are looking for:
- A solid understanding of financial processes such as bookkeeping and tax filing.
- At least one year of accounting experience.
- Hands-on experience with accounting software.
- Advanced knowledge of Excel (using financial formulas and creating spreadsheets).
- Solid data entry skills with an ability to identify numerical errors.
- Good organizational and time-management abilities.
- You thrive in an evolving environment, are happy with ambiguity, can learn and adapt, including shifting priorities and timelines.
- You have a learning mindset, and you are curious and resourceful in your approach to new situations
- You easily navigate Google Drive, Slack, and open to learning other collaboration tools, etc
- You have a positive attitude and are open to learning as well as open to talking about your weaknesses and mistakes.
- You love collaboration, are a good listener and possess excellent communication and people skills.
Why work with us?
- Mission & Impact: We believe in and work hard towards creating a future where young women imagine and build technology that will mirror the people and societies for which they build . You are part of opening up life-changing opportunities for our students.
- Career Development: We support the development of skills and leadership in our employees. We support each other’s growth
- Benefits: We believe in supporting the wellbeing of our employees and offer healthcare cover, meals at work, flexible leave days and flexible working hours.
- Self Care: We go the extra mile to support our codeHive students, but we also take time to rejuvenate, reenergize and have fun. We put our gears on neutral for the month of December to spend time resting after a year of hard work.
Working hours are typically weekdays 9 am - 5 pm, with the need for occasional events on the weekend.
The role reports to the Managing Director and collaborates closely with the rest of the team. We will agree on a three-month probation period with learning and performance goals.
Want to apply?
- Check out our website to learn more about what we do!
- The application process will include interviews, a visit to our campus, a skill test/portfolio presentation and references.
- Deadline for applications is 25th January 2022.