We recently put out a call for applications for AkiraChix mentors, and have received an overwhelming response. With one more day left to apply, we thought it best to give a deeper explanation on what the aim of this mentorship program is, and the kind of individuals we are looking for.
We work with a group of inspiring young women who are eager to move into the TechSector, and feel it’s critical to link these women up with mentors to help deepen their professional skills and establish their place in their respective professional sector when the program is complete.
Who we are looking for?
- Women who view themselves as leaders in their respective fields (We are not looking for only techies!)
- Have a great degree of empathy – you remember what it was like to write your first resume, to attend your first job interview, to wait anxiously to chart your own path an build a career that both inspires and fulfills you. Paired with this, the skill of acceptance without judging.
- Women who recognize the need for mentorship in the workforce – Mentorship means professional advice, walking alongside of a young woman who is just moving into her first role and also dedicating precious hours from your busy schedule to supporting younger women to make a difference in their respective fields.
- Willing to dedicate 2-3 hours per month to meeting with their Mentees
- Passionate about the role of intentional mentorship, thoughtful guidance and friendship to advancing women’s leadership and confidence across the technology sector in Kenya
Pretty simple qualifications! For the longer-term vision, we are also establishing a network of mentors who have walked alongside of the AkiraChix ladies. This network is also meant to enhance your own professional network – We have intentionally designed the program to create space for you to network with the other mentors, create links within different sectors and establish a network of inspiring female leaders in Kenya. As we move from year to year, we are also keen for the Mentors to help the AkiraChix team to shape and redesign the mentor program to have greater impact on the lives of these young women, but also to create an impact in each of our respective fields as we build a stronger network of powerful women leaders.
What we need from you
- Mentors will commit to mentoring one girl for 3 months
- We ask that you also join our networking events to help enhance the AkiraChix mentor program
- Be open to giving feedback on how we make this a better program – Our door is always open!
We are organising a meet up on 30th May, 2015(details to follow) to link up mentors with the AkiraChix ladies. We will help to match Mentors up with their Mentees, and support you throughout the mentorship process.