As you have probably heard, AkiraChix is hosting it’s first annual Women in Technology Conference(Sign up, limited spaces available) on November 1st 2014, celebrating african women in computing and discussing some key issues around women’s participation and contribution to the tech field in Africa. In honor of this event, AkiraChix and the Making All Voices Count initiative have launched #IncYOUbateIT – a competition open to applicants from Kenya with inspiring ideas, either proven or to be developed around gender equality themes.
The themes for which you can submit your idea are listed below. They relate to the Making All Voices Count programme’s overarching goal; better governance, transparency and accountability.
+ “Our spaces. Our rights” – Securing women’s online spaces:
How does your idea target, track and/or address protection issues that women face such as harassment, sexism and violence? Does your idea enable more women to access online spaces more securely and reduce barriers for women and girls to participate in various forums online?
+ “Tech for Change” – Tech to address community/society/country governance issues:
How does your idea address a problem(s) faced by women and girls in the community, society and/or country? Does it encourage women and girls to access positions of leadership and potentially influence governance structures, policy or legislation?
- Finalists will have be given ‘idea booths’ during conference day (November 1st 2014) to engage with present their ideas and engage with participants in strengthening their ideas
- 1 – 2 winners of #IncYOUbateIT will get incubation support for their ideas from Making All Voices Count, with expert mentorship. Incubation will include preparation for potential innovation grants down the line, depending on (i) the development of a proposal strong enough to warrant a grant and (ii) demonstration of their capacity to successfully implement.
- Winners will also have access to the South to South Lab space with internet.
- Applications close on October 20, 2014 at 23:59 GMT;
- Finalists announced on October 24, 2014
- Conference day and ‘idea booths’ on November 1, 2014
- Pitching sessions and selection of winners on November 8, 2014
Ready to enter the #IncYOUbateIT competition? Submit An Idea!
Want to host a session at the conference? Submit a Proposal
Want to be part of the conference organising team? Sign up as a volunteer!